Saturday, December 12, 2009

GOOD NEWS OF GREAT JOY!

Luke 2:10-11: But the angel said to them, "Do not be afraid. I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord."

You’ll hear me say a lot about REJOICING on this blog...because the Bible says tells me so...over and over. Surprisingly, I think I miss it way too often. “Good news of great joy for all people”...starting at Christmas but continuing for always.

Do not ask me why I have to pray every year to believe this simple truth and command. I do. Thanksgiving rounds the corner and the ‘world’ says I should be thinking about Christmas by ‘making my list and checking it twice’. I do think there can be a good thing in making my ‘list’ (and checking it twice). At Thanksgiving I’m usually consumed with this ‘jumpstart’ to the season. This year I was prompted to make a conscious choice to just be in the moment of the long weekend. It was a really good weekend...sweet. I would say I was glad, but then I entered “the season” discombobulated and feeling like holding off with the rejoicing. Why? I wanted to have my ‘lists checked’ before I rejoiced! Sad but true.

So I’m really glad this year I didn’t (and still don’t) have my lists checked. The truth is still true, and I can REJOICE! because of Jesus’ love and God’s gift. But, here’s how that even looks in my life sometimes. I’m still before the Lord more but find my motivation waning and overwhelmed. So, I lay this down before him and ask for the ‘drive’. My waiting yet asking would probably sound like this: “‘C’mon Jesus...you know I’m enjoying my time with you, you know I really sense your Spirit and am in dialogue with you throughout the day, would it be asking too much to HELP ME GET THESE THINGS DONE???!!”

Sounds pitiful as I write, but really here’s the pity....HE is not asking me to get all these things done. I feel the tension because HE is not moving me there. If I’m in Christ and the motivation is lacking, maybe, just maybe some things need to slide off ‘the list’.

So, even as I take the time to put this nugget He’s teaching me on paper, something else is sliding off my list. It’s OK. Why? It’s where HE has me. Reflecting on HIS faithfulness and work in my heart and seeing more of Jesus. That helps me REJOICE! The list really doesn’t ...for long. So friends, that’s my JOY in the journey today. I’m really glad for those of you who can do both. Today I don’t want to have to work through the list (or fill in whatever it is) to get to JOY, but I’ll even need the Lord to show me that. REJOICE...list or not...God is with us!!

No comments:

Blog Archive