Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Last year on this day...


4.24.11 A year ago we were celebrating Easter in Ethiopia as a family of 5.  It was the eve of when we would meet ‘our soon-to-be sons’.  I can remember the thrills in our hearts and the anticipation of that day.  I don’t think an Easter will top that one.  I mean here we were WORSHIPING our God on the other side of the world with brothers and sisters from an entirely foreign nation to us.  What was striking to us though was the THRILL in their hearts to CELEBRATE and REJOICE over our Lord and coming King.  We didn’t need unity of culture and language to see that.  Thankfully we were led to and International church where we went to the (mostly) English speaking service.  We WORSHIPED not only because of the beauty and irony of where we were, but because of WHO gave and continues to give us LIFE because of HIS DEATH and resurrection.

I could spend forever on those days leading up to this eve of meeting the boys.  They changed us.  We can’t even plan a ‘trip’ lately that doesn’t seem to ‘disappoint’ in some way because of how this trip a year ago will never be touched.  It’s not the trip that was so ‘sacred’, but the God we experienced through it.  When we realize the way the Lord oriented our lives and hearts to set us there on Easter Sunday last year, we are in awe.  That awe is worth remembering a year later today. 

We got to go to our driver’s home and have fresh prepared goat, chicken and veggies.  We had seen all the preparations of folks as we traveled the countryside the week before. I can only compare it to the hustle and bustle we have the week before Christmas here.  The difference was there was nothing ‘commercialized’, it was just all gathered through the community exchanges, markets, farms and in their ‘homes’.  The palm leaves were laid out on the floors and everything was as nice as their own setting could be.  They had been fasting from meat for Lent and now the animals were waiting out back for the feasting.  The time had come, and we were there.  With all of these preparations and reflections, I sensed a deeper understanding of THE Holy week.   There was no business and work come Friday.  It had all been done.  It was as if Jesus was in the town.  I kid you not.  You would have thought they were ready for HIM to show up any moment. 

Today, it makes me think.  Do I live my days as if HE’s coming again?  Do I prepare my heart and home for HIM now or only on holidays?  Do I believe Jesus is worth everything?  Do I live with the anticipation we had on that eve of meeting our boys?

I’ve come to know this ‘experience’ is right before me and not just in Africa. Read Psalm 34 and remember:  vs8 Oh, taste and see that the LORD is good! Blessed is the man who takes refuge in him!

A year ago; the beginning of our Gotcha Week.  Thank you Jesus for memories and thank you even more that YOU are still with us showing us more of YOU!

 























1 comment:

Courtney said...

crying...wow...

this was when i "met" you! ali shared your story with me as you were traveling. she would forward me EVERY email update you guys sent and i prayed and prayed.

and then i got to meet you on your second trip - what a GIFT!!!

tomorrow is the our 1 yr anniv of getting our referral - of seeing our boy's faces for the first time! amazing!

Blog Archive