Tuesday, May 24, 2011

A picture of what I call 'Settled Hope'...

praying, aching, wondering, grasping, believing, repenting...
This morning I made myself get up EARLY and before I got up I even started praying at the start of the day in Ethiopia where our boys' paperwork is 'suppose' to be submitted to Embassy today. I've heard nothing, and besides pouncing my mail every 'bling' I'm really good with the uncertainty. This morning I knew I needed to start my day asking, hoping, thinking and believing with Jesus. I know myself. It's good I'm learning I can't function apart from 'The Vine'. I've fought it, tried it (and continue to) and failed. If there's one thing (and there's more than that) in this journey, I'm learning submission and trust of God's goodness and plans for me. So that's why I rise to pray. I have to. He helps me to 'fit in' and rest in what HE's doing but more importantly, who HE IS!

I didn't know today when I clung mostly to Romans 8:32 (He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things?) that this verse was going to be the truth for my needy heart but also for a friend who was going before the courts today in the Ukraine for 2 precious girls.



For some reason, the courts just had one of the girls (Pauline) 'available' for adoption. The other (Charlotte) needs to remain for another 1 1/2 years -ish. I felt the lump in my throat. I sensed the 'unfairness' and wanting to fix it. I glimpsed the brokenness of this world in an orphaned child alone with HIV yet a family READY and in her country supposedly 'ok'd' to adopt her. But almost instantly, my friend's hope being placed in Jesus, not in the 'broken' circumstances showed me our RISEN LORD! In her words...

"So, the question for me is - do I trust God when things don't make any sense. The answer is a resounding - I DO!!!! God, in fact, rules this world with wisdom, power and love! I trust that when God says that all things work together for good for those who love him, he means it. And he doesn't only mean it, he can deliver! I truly don't understand and I am heartbroken, but just as if I have a death in my family, in my grief, I don't grieve as those who have no hope. I have a great HOPE and I am going to rest in that hope as we watch the redemption of Pauline. One day I am sure God will explain to me his plan for Charlotte. "

Oh Jesus, only one clinging to YOU can have this kind of HOPE! It's a settled hope in YOU...not in what's going on around us. I pray Jesus for you to redeem the lives of orphans, to set them in families and bring the good news of Jesus to bear in their lives! If you can do this in my once orphaned heart, Lord, I KNOW you can do this in the least of these. Bergmans...WE'RE PRAYING!!!

No comments:

Blog Archive