Monday, July 4, 2011

A first of many...

So Aliza had her first 'standing up for my brothers' interaction today at the pool. I was right there. I didn't see it coming. I've been so 'dazed' in some ways and relaxed in others. Taking it all in. So, I perked up when I heard it starting. Here's the scene. We're at the pool late afternoon and most folks have left. A girl younger than Aliza says: Who are these boys?
Aliza:they're my brothers (with excitement!).
Girl: Why are they black?
Aliza doesn't say anything.
The girl: Where's their mommy?
I begin to step over and then realize Aliza is totally holding her own.
Aliza: Does it matter? We adopted them.
Girl: Why?
Aliza: They needed a family.
Girl: oh.
I'm a little stunned and think...I'm going to address with aliza later and see how she's doing with it.
THEN, we're in the baby pool later and the same girl says:
Are these your brothers?
Aliza: I told you yes.
Girl: What are their names?
Aliza tells them.
Girl: Can I tell my mommy?
Aliza: What?
Girl: Can I tell my mommy that you adopted them?
Aliza: Sure.
Later back in the big pool, aloof mommy comes over. (she had asked her girl why she swam over to her vs getting out of the pool and walking quickly when she called her and made her repeat it correctly)
Mommy to me: Who are these boys?
Me: My sons
Mommy: my daughter told me.
(i think: then why did you ask?)
Mommy: When did you adopt them?
Me: We got home 4 days ago.
Mommy: mouth open
Me: I share some blahblah about us traveling to Africa then say: You see, when they wanted to play with your kids, they weren't afraid, they were excited.
Mommy: I had no idea.
Me: I know.
Mommy: Are all of these kids yours?
Me: ummm
Mommy: I couldn't do it. I have to have way too much control.
Me: Me too, but Jesus is teaching me.
Mommy: You like control?
Me: oh my, yes...but it's not nearly as good as trusting what God has. I'm sorry, we're done...need to go.
Mommy: Hope we'll see you around.
Me: Sure! (secretly thinking...GOD,could you be at work?) ALWAYS!!

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

WOW! You could have taken that so many place, and the Spirit in you took it to Jesus. Praise Him!

Elizabeth Johnson Phillips said...

Rock on, Aliza!!!
You need to come with us one day to our pool. There are several interracial families and what I can only assume are adoptive families. You know, us Southsiders like to keep it a little more real than you uppity West Enders!!!! :) Love you guys.

Blog Archive