Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Our first full days...

Dearest Alyona,

So I have a couple of your first days to catch up on with you!  I have to admit, this has been exhausting!  You are full of a desire to DO and take in all you can!  Of course you’re looking to me for “what’s next”!  You have nothing of your own to count on for entertainment.  Although I have planned some fun things in our days, I hadn’t planned each moment which you are a part of.  Now I know. 

I want you to know though, that others are enjoying loving on you too!  Folks are certainly praying but also giving to you!! Do you know that other people, many of whom you’ve already met, have covered the cost of you coming here?  Not only that, but we you haven’t needed to go shopping for clothing, we get to look forward to a trip to the beach, you are going to the our dentist (although you said ‘no thank you’), handmade goodies are being made, we have been invited to several families’ homes for dinners and the list goes on! Oh how I pray you will begin to “taste and see that the Lord is good”!!!  Somehow, I believe you do.  Ironically, WE are finding God in this too!  Thank you for blessing US!

I am amazed how quickly we are discovering more about you.  You definitely have a servant’s heart and nurturing spirit beyond most kids.  You are WONDERFUL with the boys.  Give them time.  They like to play hard to get.  This is new for them too.  They don’t understand why you’re calling us mum and pappa when I told them we needed to pray for a family for you.  They are confused when they hear you learn to talk when I told them you wouldn’t talk.  They are used to following us around, not someone following them around!  You are blessing them though.  Seeing Jacob give you his prized teddy bear blessed me.  Seeing you follow suit in the bedtime routine of hugs and kisses, seeing you cup your hand around theirs in church to help them draw, hearing you laugh and enjoy...oh how my heart is bursting.  YOU my dear, are precious!  Not because you are being kind, but because it’s part of who you are overflowing.  You are resting and living out of that.  I pray you’ll grow in confidence that God has given you this tender heart! 

How can I leave out how it must be to have “sisters”! You want KA’s love and affection, but she doesn’t know what to do with the demand.  You’re learning though.  You’re respecting her space needs already:)  You take the times she’s eager to engage and seem to be trusting her love is still there when she’s not able to give anymore.  When she didn’t feel well, you knew, and you just sat next to her and offered a tender caress. KA is humbled.  Secretly I think she wishes you wouldn’t be so helpful around here.  No worries, you just keep it up! 

Aliza and you are beyond pals.  I actually think you found someone who can out play you.  I mean you quit the games before she does.  Aliza has to hear the ‘no thanks’ more than anyone.  She is quite the ‘let’s do’ kid around here!  I’m so thankful you don’t see her below you as the younger one.  You enjoy her company but distance for some reason in affection.  I think you’ve figured her out quickly.  She’s a no nonsense gal isn’t she?!  You know though that she’s looking out for you and converse in the translating mostly with her. She already whispered to me that she ‘feels like you’re her sister’.  That says a load of things!  Mostly it says, “I’m being me, you’re being you, and it’s ok!”. 

Now Justin, you were sad he was leaving on his youth trip.  You asked the next day for him.  I think this relationship will be neat to watch.  He’s watching you and I think we’ll hear more from him later.  He’s surprised by your boldness and lack of ‘walls’.  I’m grateful he’ll get to experience YOU!  Thanks for giving him a hug when you met and when he left...he needs ‘em even though he pretends not.

SO, where does that leave us? Oh yes...how can I forget?? We heard Sunday afternoon you ask where “Pappa” was.  Be still my heart.  I don’t have any idea your previous experience with a Pappa, but I can say, you’ve melted this one’s heart.  You know he’s loved around here.  When he had to go to work yesterday, you wondered...just like the boys did!...what that meant.  Here we all stay, but pappa’s gone.  When he walked in last night, you LEAPED UP with a greeting that I think even he was stunned by!  All through the night you were right by him, riding in his car to track club, holding his hand and checking in with him.  Oh now wonder he’s tearing at every turn!  I’m glad you feel loved and safe.  This one you can trust:)  He might actually be the one to point you to your Father in heaven even better than I could as you cry out ‘pappa’ with such longing. 

Me? I’m just amazed at uncovering who you are.  I’m armed this am with a list of options to help you stay busy:)  I love how creative you are girl, but know I’m not!  This is where I’ve already been blessed by the love of a friend walking me through options late last night!  I’m still kinda stunned how life quickly changed.  How to adjust, think and move.  It’s certainly not you, it’s me!  I adore you sweet A!  I find myself snagging a kiss or hug b/c you just make me smile:)


Well in a couple of days you’ve already learned how this family does crazy ...
It was great to take you to worship with us, then home with a couple of extra kids to boot...

You jumped right in! 

Then we invited a friend’s daughter, who was also from the Ukraine hosting program many years ago, over to try to talk.  She opted to just enjoy you and help you learn to play games!  You enjoyed!   After dinner we jumped on the excuse to offer you your first ice cream.  You delighted...




















You’re just amazing!

That night you fell asleep watching a movie with Aliza.  Of course you had to still be exhausted.  Pardon the PJ pants, but this was what I appreciated most after your first full day with us...





Our next day was meant to be held loosely, but I found you were ready to GO! So we covered Costco AND Trader Joes.  I offered for you to pick out some things but you were fine with my choices.  Did I mention you seem to like what I’ve fixed but say ‘no thank you’ to veggies and salad:)  Typical if you ask me:)

You had seen the boys riding their bikes you asked if YOU could.  OH NO I thought...this is NOT what I’m ready for already!  You patiently waited until after lunch and then we had a go at it.  You SNEAK! You later told me one time recently at school you had the chance to ride one.  WHEW! You took off after a few times of steadying (and praying!). 










So last night we went to our church’s Track Club.  You weren’t so excited about this.  You clung to Andy and the girls, but you did TRY!! You said your legs hurt after a bit.  OF COURSE they did!  You probably aren’t use to all this action!  I remembered that was true of the boys too.  You don’t get the daily exercise and chance to even build muscles, but we’ll work on that:)

Alas, another day is beginning and you’ve finally slept past 6:30.  I pray today we’ll not only enjoy, but connect.  I also pray for a forever family for you!!  Anyone that’s reading my letters to you, oh just ask God how He would have YOU live out His call to care for the “poor, widow and orphan”.  However it looks, I can PROMISE YOU!! you will find HIM! That sweet Alyona is the why you’re hear.  We know with every ounce of attempt to love you well, there’s some connection to the heart of our Father.  I typed last night after Track Club that the Bible story was about how YOU...Alyona! was God’s treasure.  You shook your head as if you knew too.  Something is going on here...again...that I can only say is Jesus.  Taste and see sweet one, the Lord is GOOD!


No comments:

Blog Archive