Sunday, July 29, 2012

Just the bag...

I don’t know how this is going to work out, but I had this idea a couple of days ago.  I’m going to update on Alyona (pronounced ah luna) by writing her letters.  Maybe I’ll have them translated.  Maybe they’ll be too much.  I don’t know, but that’s where I’m going to begin.


Oh Alyona,

You have had a long few days!  Beginning your journey from one of the poorest areas of Eastern Ukraine, Damask on Thursday, to travel by train to Poland where you boarded a plane Friday.  You arrived in America full of grins.  These smiles didn’t go unnoticed.  Everyone that has welcomed you noticed.  We’ve quickly learned, they are part of you.  You arrived late at night to JFK and finally got to lay your head down in a local hotel with 9 others @ 1am.  From there you woke up Saturday to eat some yummies and boarded a bus to Baltimore.


 Alas, you got to experience traffic in American cities.  According to Maggie who was with you, it didn’t phase you; you were always pleasant.  Then as only 3 of you remained to be driven to Frederick, you still rolled with it as one of your car-mates didn’t feel ‘happy’ from her happy meal and lost it as 3 of you were crammed in a VW bug. 

FINALLY, you arrived to us in Frederick, MD.  Little did we know how you must feel.  We had been anxiously awaiting you all afternoon.  We were like kids waiting for you to pull up.  We had talked about whether you would want us to hug you; whether you would be nervous about meeting us; whether we should take pictures.  Well, all of that was out the window when we met.  You just set the pace.  It was amazing to see such COURAGE coming out of this tiny 14 year old body.  You pushed yourself around the group of girls and towards us and slammed into us all with a big hug.  You were talking OUR language! 










After an initial meeting we knew a pit stop was in order before we put you back in our car.  I led the way, Andy in the back.  What was in the middle was precious.  There were 3 girls stair-step in height that were holding hands.  I knew that wasn’t my girl’s doing.  It was yours.  When I turned around you let go then put your arm around your temporary sisters waist.  It was as if you couldn’t say ‘YEAH’ loud enough.  That’s where I wish I had taken a picture.  I’m sure there will be more, but suffice to say, we treasured it.  Of course when you wanted to hold my hand on the way out, Andy had to tell me, “she likes to hold hands”.  Silly me didn’t know what to do with it.  Don’t worry, I’ll catch up.

Our car ride home was sooo much fun.  After a little frustration to begin with, we finally found a way to use the Russian/English translate apps.  The first thing you typed, “I miss ‘someones name’.”  So Kaylee Ann signs, “are you sad?” and you said, “no”.  We will learn more about this friend and how your heart connects!  The bantering went on and on.  Finally, we decided to give you a break and you and KA had fun learning the joys of Ipad games.  You picked up quickly.  When they thought they still needed to show you, you gently showed them you knew what you were doing...and you did!
No slow learner here! We were so thankful you could read and type! It’s already making our adjustment so much easier.  (Thank you, Lord!)







So we had some other fun, taking silly faced pictures and typing back and forth.  Here was my favorite:
me: What is your favorite food?
you: any

OF COURSE! I laughed!  simply and truthfully said..any food, duh!
(then this am you typed something about raspberries)



After some quick settling at home, and seeing your temp little brothers sleeping, you finally got to lay your head down. 



 
As we held hands and prayed, I couldn’t help but to be reminded of the one thing that struck us as we welcomed you.  Andy calls it, ‘just the bag’. 

You see, how silly of us to think you’d at least have a suitcase.  It didn’t even look loaded down.  All we knew is we can’t even imagine a carry on as light as all you have.  Ironically, you didn’t seem to feel like you were missing anything.  Then it hit me.  I live my days thinking I’m not really missing anything.  I live like here and now is what I’m made for.  You see Alyona, we aren’t much different.  I’m would be an orphan too, blind to my need, if it weren’t for Jesus.  Somehow, I’m beginning to think Jesus has already been at work in you.  I sense the Spirit.  I relate.

Surprisingly, the first thing that came out this morning was ‘just the bag’. I’m floored that you began emptying your bag with, GIFTS for us!  There wasn't anything of yours. You brought your precious creations and shared them with us. 
 




I see an artist!  I see a creative girl bursting to share!  You happily tied your creations around our pj’d clad bodies.  You were beaming.  I see Jesus...the ultimate sharer...at work in you already.

It was so silly (and orphan like) to think I was going to shower YOU.  Sweet Alyona, you are a blessing already.  Thank you Jesus! You indeed, are the giver of all good gifts...

So I do think this necklace will shine I’m wearing as I worship today:) If only when everyone sees it, they could see the heart of God.  I do:)

Let’s see what today brings, Alyona! enJOY!
oh...and you just copied the girls in what you call me...mom;p
So much for the Mrs. Schwarz!

Indeed, Abba Father...daddy...you are GOOD!

3 comments:

Jill said...

This is remarkable and so touching. Praise the Lord! Praise the Lord! Puts so much into perspective for me. Thank you for sharing this with all of us reading.

Wesley said...

This is such a beautiful post, Cindy. Praying for your time with Alyona!

Courtney said...

wow...she is amazing! (and TINY!) we are praying and rejoicing with you!!!

Blog Archive